Thursday, January 10, 2008

No reviews today...just an update

1) I've been trying to download the "Welcome to the NHK!" anime series via BitTorrent - with no luck. It's been downloading continuously for about the last 4 days but I've only been about to get about 12% of the whole file. Thus, it looks like my dream of comparing the manga to the anime will sadly remain "a dream deferred". wahhhhhh.........

2) In happier news, I've been lucky enough to see 16 out of the 26 episodes of Shinchiro Wantanabe's awesome hip-hop influenced Samurai Champloo series; Wantanabe was also the director of Cowboy Bebop, another great series that mixed Japanese anime with American musical styles - in CB's case, bebop jazz. I had been planning to write a review of Samurai Champloo after watching the first episode, but I've been so drawn into the series that I'm going to hold off until I've completed it. In fact, I'm digging the series so much I'm considering buying Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked PS2 game, despite it's blah reviews. Who knows, perhaps there could be a anime/manga-influenced video game element to OPL?

FYI Geneon, the American distributor for the series, is going out of business so you might want to watch or buy Samurai Champloo while you can.

3) I'm determined to get a Anime/Manga Club going at the New Lots branch! The intial meeting will be on January 30th at 4pm.....keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: