Monday, August 17, 2009

Endless Eight ends/Cyborg 009 and Peacemaker Kurogane anime

What up anidorks? So the dang “Endless Eight” cycle of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 finally came to an end last week. Genius or pure cruelty? As always, the final decision will be made on the anime/manga messageboards. Personally, although I admire the originally and post-modernity of it all, one or two episodes of it would have been enough.

If you’ve already dropped the series and are eager to hear the ending, read on ….or skip ahead to the next paragraph if you have a weak heart. Kyon (of course) breaks the cycle by…..asking the gang to help him with his homework. Yeah, pretty underwhelming. I was personally hoping for Kyon to plant one on Haruhi for a little drama, but oh well. Ah, MoHS: wonderful yet horrible at the same time, just like your first psycho girlfriend/boyfriend from college.

In other news, I sat through the 1st DVDs of Peacemaker Kurogane and the Cyborg 009 series from 2001 this weekend. I was pretty underwhelmed by both, I have to say. I didn’t know that much about Peacemaker Kurogane going in, aside from the fact it was “twilight of the samurai”-style shonen action series. Aside from some decent swordfights, it’s pretty unremarkable and the main character (the standard-issue “scrappy, spiky-haired, overly energetic” shonen protagonist) got on my nerves pretty quickly. Granted, it might be worth watching more episodes…but I’m not going to. Sorry Charlie.

I had more high hopes for Cyborg 009, a 60’s era classic manga in its latest anime incarnation. Like most 60’s ephemera, though, I found it pretty dull. I will grant that it was probably more ground-breaking in its day, with a dark edge uncommon to 1960’s shonen manga – or it just might have been better if I’d have grown up with the series. Otaku with an Astroboy/Kamen Rider/Battle of the Planets moe might dig the throwback vibe, but I’m not one of those dudes…

No comments: